What is ‘clean’ skincare?
If you’re using skincare to clean your skin... then surely it’s all clean skincare, right? Ahhh... sorry folks, that’d be a no.
We get that the term is pretty vague and all encompassing in its definitions. Isn’t a lot of the wellness world? We blame Gwenyth Paltrow.
But think about the phrase ‘clean eating’. When you hear it you know the food probably hasn’t been processed, the ingredients are natural and you can probably pronounce them. Also, hopefully the impact to create it is minimal on the environment. That’s kind of the same way to look at clean skincare.
We think of it as skincare that deeply considers what you’re putting onto and into your body.
What does ‘vegan-friendly/cruelty-free’ skincare mean?
Again, think of it like food (look, your skin is a big ol’ organ too guys and gals). Vegan friendly skincare means there’s no animal products OR animal by-products in it. This includes things like honey.
Cruelty free means that we stroke rescue bunnies while mixing products. Just kidding. This means no animals, big or small, were used to test the skincare. Coz you know, they’re for people. So we test things on people. And then we ask the people if they feel itchy or burny and if they say yes, we start the formula again.
Contrary to popular belief, you can slap ‘vegan’ on the label and still pump a product full of chemicals. Sorry guys, vegan doesn’t mean clean. BUT that’s something that’s a big no-no around here.
What should you look out for with skincare?
We don’t put nasties in our products so you know you’re always safe with us. But we understand that it’s a wide world of skincare out there. Here are some main ingredients you should be looking for when purchasing skincare:
- Mineral oil
- Sulfate (SLS)
- Chemical UV filters
All of these bad boys are strictly banned by us. You shall not pass.
What are the benefits of clean skincare?
Now for the good stuff. ‘Why should I do away with all these cheap, fancy product fillers in favour of clean and natural products?’ we hear you cry.
As we mentioned before, your skin is your biggest organ. And it’s out there facing the world every day. This means even the stuff you just pop on top of it is getting inside your body. Crazy right? So if it’s sneaking its way in, better make sure it’s the good stuff.
- makes ingredient safety a priority. Picture a little safety officer in a hard hat, not letting the nasties past.
- doesn’t contain common allergens and irritants. For example, ours are gluten free because YES you can have a gluten reaction to your skincare. These kind of irritants have been linked to things like dermatitis, eczema and rosacea.
- says goodbye to irritation, redness, and sensitivity.
- leads to less inflammation. We mean both externally and internally. Some studies have drawn links between skincare and gut issues. Yikes.
- stops you using potential carcinogens. It’s important to be clear here: Yes, carcinogens have been known to have links to cancer. No, we are not saying our body scrub cures cancer NOR that anyone else’s will give you cancer. That would be inflammatory. And as we mentioned, there’s less inflammation with clean products.
- doesn’t include ingredients that have the potential to disrupt your endocrine system. That’s a fancy way of saying it won’t mess with your hormones.
- decreases the potential for toxicity in the body. Though Britney made being toxic sound fun, we assure you that chemical exposure is not.
- fights the flu! Ok, not exactly. But healthier skin has a strong correlation with a good immune system.
- makes you more zen. Skin health, physical health and mental health are all connected. They skip and hold hands. If you make one happy, you’ll likely see improvements in the other two. And skincare is more fun than burpees. Just sayin’.
So there you have it friends. The benefits of clean skincare. Feel awesome. Look awesome. Be awesome. Inside and out.If you want more deets about our ingredients or processes, hop over to our FAQs page for all the answers. Or reach out on socials, we’re keen for a chitty chat.